Living with psoriasis can be a challenging experience, as this persistent skin condition can lead to discomfort and self-consciousness.
While there is no definitive cure for psoriasis, modern technology has brought us UVB psoriasis lamps, which offer significant benefits in managing and treating this condition. Especially with the NHS stopping funding for this UVB treatment, those who suffer from these conditions have been left with no resource or treatment plan from hospitals up and down the UK.
Instead, experts and dermatologists are telling these sufferers to purchase their own psoriasis lamps to use in the comfort of their own home, to avoid these years of backlog. In this blog, we’ll delve into the science behind these remarkable machines and explore how they can improve the lives of those suffering from psoriasis.
Before we delve into the benefits of UVB psoriasis lamps, it’s essential to understand psoriasis itself. Psoriasis is a chronic autoimmune disorder characterised by an accelerated skin cell production cycle. The rapid build-up of skin cells leads to the formation of thick, red, and often painful patches on the skin’s surface. Additionally, psoriasis can cause itching, irritation, and, in some cases, even joint inflammation.
The Role of UVB Psoriasis Lamps
UVB psoriasis lamps work based on the principle that controlled exposure to specific ultraviolet wavelengths can slow down the excessive growth of skin cells, effectively reducing the symptoms of psoriasis. These lamps emit UVB rays, which fall within the 290 to 320 nanometre wavelength range and have proven to be highly effective in treating various skin conditions, including psoriasis.
Benefits of UVB Psoriasis Lamps
- Targeted Treatment: Unlike full-body exposure to natural sunlight, UVB psoriasis lamps allow for targeted treatment. This means affected areas receive a precise dosage of UVB radiation, ensuring optimal results while minimising potential side effects on healthy skin.
2. Efficiency: UVB phototherapy has shown remarkable effectiveness in managing psoriasis symptoms. Clinical studies have consistently demonstrated that regular treatment with UVB psoriasis lamps can lead to a significant reduction in redness, scaling, and thickness of psoriatic plaques.
3. Safe and Controlled: UVB lamps used in clinics and recommended for home use are carefully calibrated to deliver a therapeutic dose of UVB radiation. This controlled approach minimises the risk of burns and reduces the potential long-term risks associated with UV exposure.
4. Convenience: While traditional phototherapy treatments are typically conducted in specialised medical facilities, many individuals now have the option of using UVB psoriasis lamps in the comfort of their own homes. This convenience allows for more frequent treatments, enhancing the overall efficiency of the therapy.
5. Positive Impact on Mental Health: The visible improvement in skin appearance and reduction in symptoms can have a profound positive impact on the mental well-being of individuals with psoriasis. Increased confidence and self-esteem often result from successful treatment outcomes.
UVB psoriasis lamps have revolutionised the treatment of psoriasis, offering a ray of hope to those affected by this challenging skin condition. The controlled and targeted approach of UVB phototherapy has proven to be a safe and effective option for managing psoriasis symptoms. With the convenience of home use, individuals can incorporate UVB treatments into their daily routines, experiencing the benefits first-hand.
For some patients, UVB phototherapy offers an alternative to systemic medications or biologics, which may have significant side effects. UVB treatment can be an excellent option for those who prefer a non-invasive approach to managing their psoriasis, such as these at home options that we offer here at Skin Matters Bristol.
As research and technology continue to advance, UVB psoriasis lamps remain a beacon of hope for individuals seeking relief from the burdensome symptoms of psoriasis. If you are a sufferer yourself or know anyone who is in need of help, make sure to contact us today for a free quote, or visit our products page to view our range of machines for yourself, ranging from full body machines to more localised machines built to target certain areas of the body. Contact us today for more information.